Just downriver from Elizabethtown is Rosiclare. According to legend, Rosiclare got its unusual name from two young girls, Rose and Clare. They were the daughters of an early settler of French descent. By the 1890’s the name of the town on maps had been changed to one word, Rosiclare. Settled around 1807 and originally known as Ford’s Ferry, the discovery of lead and fluorspar in 1843 marked the beginning of significant growth of the village. Eventually it was the site of the largest, and last, fluorspar mining operation in the United States. The mine closed in 1996.
Rosiclare was incorporated into a village in 1874 and became a city in 1932. During World War II, when the demand for fluorspar, lead and zinc was at its greatest, the city’s population grew to about 2000. The U.S. Government built a housing project in 1942-43 known as “Spardale”. It provided homes for 150 families. After the war boom was over the project was sold and eventually torn down.
Today, with 1400 residents, Rosiclare is the largest incorporated community in Hardin County and is the home of the American Fluorite Museum.